Annual General Body Meeting (AGM) of Society for Biomaterials and Artificial Organs, India (SBAOI) held at SCMS, Kochi on February 28, 2010 at 6.30 pm has approved to start a Fellowship programme FBAO based on stipulated guidelines. General body nominated a committee to select fellows. A list of 20 members was recommended by the committee and approved by the President, SBAOI for the Fellowship-2011.
The FBAO awards were distributed by Dr. V.M. Katoch, Director General, ICMR on February 10, 2011 during the XXI National Conference at Sardar Patel University, Anand, Gujarat.
- Prof. Ajith K. Banthia, IIT, Kharagpur FBAO
- Prof. Alok R. Ray, IIT , Delhi FBAO
- Dr. G. S. Bhuvaneshwar, SCTIMST FBAO
- Mr. Balagopal, Penpol, Trivandrum FBAO
- Dr. Chandra P Sharma, SCTIMST FBAO
- Dr. V. Kalliyanakrishnan, SCTIMST FBAO
- Prof. K. Mohandas, Vice Chancellor, Kerala Medical University FBAO
- Mr. C. V. Muraleedharan, SCTIMST FBAO
- Mr. D. S. Nagesh, SCTIMST FBAO
- Dr. S. N. Pal, Noida FBAO
- Mr. A. V. Ramani, TTK, Chennai FBAO
- Prof. S. Rajeswari, University of Madras FBAO
- Prof. Ravi Prakash, BITS, Pilani FBAO
- Prof.. T. S. Sampath Kumar, IIT, Madras FBAO
- Dr. K. Sreenivasan, SCTIMST FBAO
- Prof. Subrata Pal, University of Jadavpur FBAO
- Dr. Thomas Chandy, Minnesota, USA FBAO
- Dr. P. R.Harikrishna Varma, SCTIMST FBAO
- Mr. H. Vijayakumar, SPIC, Chennai FBAO
- Mr. Willi Paul, SCTIMST FBAO
- Dr. Bhuvanesh Gupta, IIT Delhi FBAO
- Dr. Bikramjit Basu, IISc FBAO
- Dr. Prabha D Nair, SCTIMST FBAO
Criteria for nominations
- To commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Society for Biomaterials and Artificial Organs (India), it is proposed to introduce fellowship in line with that of IUSBSE. The proposed fellowship will be known as FBAO
- The nomination criteria for fellowship of IUSBSE (as available) are high quality research in the area of biomaterials supported by extensive quality publications and 1800-2000 citations. Considering the typical scenario in India, the following criteria is proposed.
- Nominees should have appropriate professional training (master's /professional/research degree), competence and good performing research in the broader area of ‘biomaterials science’ with 10 or more years of active membership in the society and notable contributions to the development of the society and its journals TRENDS
- Nominees should have made significant contributions to Biomaterials Science documented by sustained efforts in biomaterials research, development, education, or administration.
- Self nomination for the beginning and later new Fellows to be nominated and evaluated by existing Fellows
- Nominees should have a continuing record of publication in refereed journals appropriate to the candidate's contributions to the field.
- Nominees should have over 500 citations and h-factor over 10. The citations are expected from work carried out in India.
- Nominees should have remarkable records in developing indigenous technologies comparable to the above stated academic contributions and their successful commercialization. The equivalency of the Efforts in developing and commercializing a product Vs Scientific achievement with over 500 citations will be determined by the committee and the committee’s decision will be final
- Nominees should have made significant contributions towards the growth of medical devices by setting up industrial bases in this country with continuing R&D efforts to achieve excellence on par with global perspective.
- The number of fellows is limited to 10% of the total membership in the society.
- As per the IUSBSE practice, the nominations will be considered every four years.
- All members of SBAOI, including members from abroad can be nominated for this fellowship
Proposed b y Dr. K. Sreenivasan, Chairman, Awards Committee, SBAOI
General Body meeting (held at SCMS, Kochi on February 28, 2010) approved the procedure and the guidelines. However, it was indicated that the same should be put on the society’s web site and given one month time for all members for information and comments.
- GB appointed a four member committee to nominate first time for the fellowship awards. During subsequent years, existing fellows will nominate new fellows and the nominations will be circulated among fellows for comments prior to committee’s consideration
- The committee consists of the following 4 members
- Dr. K. Sreenivasan, SCTIMST, (Chairman)
- Prof. T.S. Sampathkumar, IITM
- Sri. D.S. Nagesh, SCTIMST
- Dr. P.R. Harikrishna Varma, (Convener) and Secretary, SBAOI